A galette is a simple, rustic pastry that looks a little bit like a tart. In fact, just like tarts, galettes can be made savory or sweet. This recipe is the savory kind, since we filled it with green onions and vegan cream cheese, then topped it with tomatoes. For a little extra “zing”, we sprinkled the gluten-free pastry crust with some “everything bagel” seasoning.
Power to the Pebble?
Galettes originate from France, where the word galet means “pebble”. Not very romantic, is it? However, it does describe the round shape of a galette quite well! The beauty of this pastry is its simplicity. It’s similar to a tart, yet completely freeform – meaning you don’t need a tart pan! You just put everything together on a flat surface, then fold up the sides to keep everything inside. Sounds easy right?
Time to Fold and Get Flaky!
A galette works best when the pastry is nice and flaky. And do you know what that means? ORIGAMI! OK, maybe not quite – but you’ll need to do some folding. Don’t worry – this isn’t puff pastry, you’re not committing to hundreds of layers. You just need to roll it out, fold it in half, and repeat six times (take a look at the pic). Some vegan “butter” helps the flaky layers to form, giving you that authentic pastry texture.
Wrapping It Up
Did we mention the lush layer of vegan cream cheese in this galette? Or that our recipe blends the cream cheese with green onions? This results in a smooth, creamy, but also sharp and tangy layer. We spread this all over the pastry, making sure to leave space at the edge, which we’ll fold over the filling.
Now, our heirloom tomatoes go right on top (regular tomatoes are fine for this recipe, but we think heirlooms look great). These add some bright acidity to each mouthful of pastry and cream cheese. Finally, sprinkle some “everything bagel” seasoning around the rim of your galette and you’re ready to bake!
We bet you can’t wait to get this out of the oven, so don’t let us hold you up!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better!
And if you’re looking for something else in the “savory tart” family – take a look at our gluten-free Asparagus Quiche.Print
Galette with Tomato + Green Onion | Gluten Free
A savory galette recipe with vegan cream cheese, green onions, juicy tomatoes and some tasty “everything bagel” seasoning (plus gluten-free pastry).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 to 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 slices of Galette with Tomato + Green Onion | Gluten Free 1x
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free baking flour + extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 ounces / 115 grams cold vegan butter, chopped
Filling & Garnish
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces / 227 grams vegan creamed cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced + extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon plant milk
- 2 tablespoons ‘Everything Bagel’ seasoning
- Prepare ice water my adding a handful of ice cubes into a bowl and filling with water. Set aside to chill.
- Place all dry pastry ingredients to a food processor, pulse to mix.
- Add 4 tablespoons of ice water and apple cider vinegar, pulse to mix. Then add vegan butter and process until the mixture is well combined and the pastry resembles breadcrumbs. If needed, add another 1 to 2 tablespoons of ice water.
- Turn pastry out onto a flour-dusted surface. Roll out the pastry, fold in half and roll out again. Repeat rolling and folding 6 times (this step helps with the flakiness of the pastry – see photo above).
- Roll pastry into a 12 inch / 30cm circle. Carefully transfer to a baking tray that has been lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes for the pastry to firm up.
- Preheat your oven to 400F / 204C and start preparing the filling.
- Add vegan creamed cheese, green onions, salt and pepper to a food processor. Process until mixed.
- Spread the creamed cheese mixture over the pastry, leaving a bare 1 inch/2.5cm edge (see photo above). Top with heirloom tomato slices.
- Carefully fold bare edge of pastry over to form a crust. Brush with plant milk and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the galette crust is golden brown and the creamed cheese filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into eight slices and enjoy warm.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: galette with tomato green onion galette, tomato galette, vegan galette, gluten-free galette, galette dough recipe, the plant riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!