We believe that simplicity is a wonderful thing. When recipes are simple, it becomes so much easier to eat well and stay healthy! As far as simple recipes go, you can’t get much easier than homemade tomato soup. This soup recipe is light, delicious and completely vegan! So read on, and we’ll tell you how to get it just right.
Tomatoes – a Recipe Soup-erstar!
Tomato soup is wonderful homemade comfort food, but the recipe doesn’t need to be unhealthy. Our soup recipe skips the traditional butter and cream, making it vegan, but also low in fat. We build up a rich flavor in other ways. For example, we add carrot, celery, and a hearty vegetable broth to the soup base.
An interesting fact about tomatoes – they are the main way we get a nutrient called lycopene. This is an antioxidant, which can reduce stress on your body. In fact, there is good evidence that lycopene helps fight inflammation, cancer, and other chronic health problems. So, a tomato soup recipe that makes you happy might also help you stay well!
Here Today, Gone Tomato
This soup recipe uses canned tomatoes. That might seem odd, but think about this – when do you most crave homemade tomato soup? We’re guessing fall and winter … were we right? The thing is, tomatoes are a summer crop. So, save those delicious fresh tomatoes for hot weather salads, and get quality canned ones for steamy soups.
Don’t Wait to Start Tasting
Different tomato products can vary a bit in flavor. Make sure you taste your soup while cooking. The soup might need more seasoning, or maybe a little sugar to balance acidic tomatoes. This tomato soup is homemade, so you control the recipe! This also means you know exactly what’s in your meal, avoiding the many additives that show up in a store-bought soup.
Tips and Tricks
We want this soup to be as creamy as possible. One way to achieve this is by using an upright blender, which gives a smoother, creamier result than the immersion type. Remember, be careful when putting hot soup in a sealed blender. The pressure can build quickly, so be sure to release the steam carefully.
There are some things that go hand-in-hand with this dish. Firstly, herbs! Our favorite herb for tomato soup is basil, but thyme also works really well. We also like to sprinkle our soup with nutritional yeast as a vegan alternative to cheese. Finally, you can’t go wrong with some toast or fresh crusty bread. Alternatively, enjoy your soup with a (vegan) grilled cheese sandwich – what a classic combination!
OK then friends, let’s get on with the recipe! We hope you enjoy this easy homemade tomato soup. Bear in mind that this meal freezes well, so don’t be afraid to meal-prep!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better!Print
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
A delicious homemade tomato soup recipe that you’ll love to slurp on a cool night. This soup recipe is vegan, low fat, and best friends with crusty bread!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large can (28oz/795gram) crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
To serve (optional)
- Nutritional yeast
- Fresh basil
- Crusty bread
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots ands celery, sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in basil and tomato paste, cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt and pepper, increase heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast, then use an immersion blender or countertop blender to blend soup until smooth and creamy (please be very careful as the soup will still be hot!). Taste soup and adjust seasoning as needed.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast, fresh basil and plenty of toast! Enjoy
- This tomato soup freezes well, so store any leftovers in the freezer for quick healthy meals when needed!
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: easy homemade tomato soup, cheesy tomato soup, tomato, tomato basil soup, soup recipes, vegan soup recipes, vegan recipes, cheap healthy meals, cheap and healthy meals, cheap easy healthy meals, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!