An easy and delicious asparagus quiche recipe with a gluten-free quinoa crust, and no eggs or dairy (yes, its vegan!). Enjoy for brunch, lunch or dinner!
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups clear vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth
- Cooking oil spray
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 14oz / 387grams silken tofu
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons plant milk (we used oat milk but almond and cashew also works well)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 fresh asparagus spears, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup artichokes hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 3 asparagus spears, cut in half lengthways
- 1/4 cup artichokes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pea (fresh or frozen)
To serve (optional)
- Lemon slices/wedges
- Green salad
- Combine quinoa and broth in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until broth has been absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together finely ground flax seeds with vegetable broth. Allow mixture to thicken for five minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and prepare a 9 inch (23cm) round baking dish by spraying with a little cooking oil.
- Into the pot of cooked quinoa, stir in flax eggs. Scoop quinoa mixture into prepared baking dish. Using wet fingers (helps prevent quinoa from sticking to your fingers) firmly press quinoa mixture into the base and sides of the dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Spray skillet with a little cooking oil, add onions and cook sauté until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add a splash of water as needed to stop the onions and garlic from sticking to the skillet. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Into a blender add silken tofu, nutritional yeast, plant milk, turmeric, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Stir in onions, garlic, asparagus, artichokes and peas.
- Pour quiche mixture into baked quinoa crust. Smooth over the surface of the mixture, then top with asparagus spears, artichokes and peas. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the quiche comes out clean.
Serve warm or cold along side a green salad with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: asparagus quiche, vegan quiche, easy quiche recipe, eggless quiche, gluten-free quiche, the plant riot