This ‘baked’ apple in the microwave recipe comes together in just five minutes and makes a perfect late-night snack or brunch dish. Smothered in an easy caramel sauce and bursting with tangy ‘baked’ apple slices, nobody will believe you cooked this tasty treat in the microwave!
This post will show you how to microwave ‘baked’ apple, using fresh apple slices and a simple microwave caramel. This recipe serves one, so it’s a great antidote for those late-night munchies!
Ingredients for ‘Baked’ Apple Slices in the Microwave
Any type of apple will work in this recipe, although crisp varieties like Braeburns and Honeycrisp are some of the most popular.
Salted peanut butter is the secret to making our perfect microwave salted caramel sauce! If you don’t have salted peanut butter then just add a pinch of salt before mixing with your other ingredients.
Apples and maple syrup just work together, and this delicious sweetener will form the base of our microwave caramel sauce.
The ultimate dessert seasoning, vanilla extract is going to help enhance all the other yummy flavors in our ‘baked’ microwave apple.
How to Microwave ‘Bake’ an Apple
Cut the apple
- Core your apple and then place it between two wooden spoons or chopsticks. These will ensure you don’t cut too deep into your apple.
- Hold your apple in place and cut from the top-down, until the knife reaches your wooden spoons or chopsticks. This should take you roughly 75% through the apple.
- Make a second cut using the same method, so you have four equally sized sections.
- Repeat this until you have eight slices of apple roughly the same size.
Cook the apple
- Place your cut apple into a microwave-safe breakfast bowl along with one tablespoon of water.
- Cover and place in the microwave.
- ‘Bake’ your apple in the microwave until tender for four minutes (my microwave is 1000 watts). Cook for an extra 30 seconds if needed.
Make the caramel sauce
- Combine peanut butter, maple syrup, water, and vanilla extract in a small bowl or mug.
- Place in the microwave for 20 seconds, or serve cold.
How to Serve
Serve your ‘baked’ microwave apple slices hot and drizzled with caramel sauce. For an extra treat, add a scoop (or two) of dairy-free whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (my favorite!).
Can I Make Microwave ‘Baked’ Apples Ahead of Time?
This recipe is best enjoyed hot from the microwave, but if that’s not an option then you can make it ahead and reheat. Your caramel sauce will keep for a while in the fridge if you don’t use it all.Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!