It’s time for oven-baked sweet potato fries – homemade and delicious! With our recipe, you’ll get crispy sweet potato fries every time.
- 2.25lbs / 1kg sweet potatoes, washed
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (See Notes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (See Notes)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C and prepare two baking trays by lining them with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise into slices about 0.5 inch/1.5cm wide. Then flip the slices on the side and cut them lengthwise again.
- Rinse the sweet potato ‘fries’ and shake off any excess water, then pile them into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together corn/potato starch, onion and garlic powder (or any other spices you desire!), and a generous pinch of salt. Sprinkle the starch seasoning over the sweet potatoes and toss it through until they are all coated and the starch starts to “disappear” as it dissolves in the moisture on the surface of the sweet potato. Then drizzle olive oil over the coated sweet potatoes and mix it through to coat everything.
- Divide the sweet potatoes between two lined baking trays, making sure they aren’t packed too close together or overlapping (as this will prevent the sweet potatoes from crisping up!).
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes, flipping them half way through (keep an eye on them, as every oven is a little different). Your baked sweet potato fries are ready when they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the baked sweet potato fries from the oven, sprinkle with a little salt. Serve while hot sprinkled with some fresh herbs and some delicious dipping sauces, such as ketchup, sriracha, lemon or garlic mayonnaise, vegan queso and guacamole, or gravy! Enjoy!
Keywords: baked sweet potato fries, oven baked sweet potato fries, homemade sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries recipe, The Plant Riot