This plant-based ‘beef’ and broccoli stir fry recipe with black bean sauce is quick, healthy, and has a deep umami flavor that will hit you right in the cravings!
Beef and broccoli stir fry is a staple of Chinese cooking. This plant-based version gives you all the flavors inspired by the traditional dish without the meat, thanks to seitan and our secret weapon: fermented black beans (douchi). The black bean sauce is ready in just 30 minutes and combines garlic, soy sauce, and douchi for a salty, savory flavor that is just as tasty as the original.
Vegan Beef and Broccoli Recipe Ingredients
Made from vital wheat protein, seitan is high in protein and super tasty. It has a mouth-watering meaty texture that makes it the perfect beef substitute and is great with beef and broccoli sauce. I used WestSoy Seitan Strips by Yves, but feel free to use your preferred brand.
Fermented Black Beans
Also known as Douchi, fermented black beans form the base of our beef and broccoli sauce. They are popular in Chinese cuisine and give our stir fry a distinctive savory kick that tastes amazing with seitan and broccoli.
I used fresh broccoli for this recipe, but you could also use frozen if necessary. For bonus points, chop your broccoli in the morning and let it rest for a few hours. By doing this, you allow your broccoli to produce a powerful cancer-fighting chemical, that only occurs a few hours after chopping.
Like corn starch, arrowroot flour is a thickening agent used in sauces, soups, and desserts. In this recipe, we add a little to our black bean sauce so that it coats the seitan and broccoli to perfection.
Dark Brown Sugar + Soy Sauce + Sriracha
This trio is the perfect combination of salty, sweet, and spicy, and makes our plant-based ‘beef’ and broccoli sauce so freaking good.
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Remove your seitan from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature while you prepare your other ingredients. This ensures the meaty texture remains when cooked.
- Mix together the arrowroot flour and water, and set aside.
- Whisk together the black bean sauce, dark brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha. Set aside.
Tip: Make sure all your ingredients are prepared before you start (including the black bean sauce and arrowroot flour mixture) because once you get stir frying you want to move quickly.
- Place a large skillet over high heat, and heat to a very high temperature.
- Once the skillet is up to temperature, add the broccoli, vegetable broth, garlic, and ginger. Stir and then cover with a lid to steam for 3-4 minutes.
Tip: If you have a small pan or a low-power burner, consider cooking stir-fry in small batches.
- Add the seitan strips and black bean sauce and stir until everything is coated.
- Add the arrowroot mixture, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the seitan is heated through and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Divide the rice between two bowls, top with beef and broccoli stir-fry, and serve.
Beef and Broccoli Recipe Swaps
- Swap fresh broccoli for frozen broccoli, ensuring your trees are completely defrosted before adding the seitan and black bean sauce.
- Not in the mood for broccoli? Try using snow peas or green beans for a fresh twist.
- If you’re allergic to soy (or not a fan of seitan) then feel free to substitute with another vegan ‘beef’ product. I like Gardien’s Home-style ‘beef-less’ tips’, firm tofu (pressed), or tempeh strips. Brown the sides in a hot pan before preparing your other ingredients, then add to the sauce as explained in the recipe.
How to Serve
Serve your beef and broccoli stir fry with a big bowl of steamed white or brown jasmine rice. Add a sprinkle of green onions for that extra little flavor boost.
Looking for more Main Meal Recipes?
Here are a few of my readers favorite Plant Riot recipes:
I hope you enjoy this vegan ‘Beef’ and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe as much as I do! If you tried it, please let me know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!