If you love Chinese food, then you’ve probably enjoyed plenty of black bean sauce. This tasty seasoning is made from douchi). It’s no surprise this is a staple in Chinese cooking. Black bean sauce adds a deep umami flavor to any dish and is super easy to use! In fact, it’s the secret weapon in this Broccoli with Black Bean Sauce recipe. This vegan stir fry is tasty, healthy, and on the table in 30 minutes!, garlic, and of course, fermented soybeans (
As we said above, black bean sauce provides the seasoning for this recipe. It’s a salty, savory flavor sensation. In fact, black bean sauce is a big reason why this recipe is so easy. It provides such a rich flavor that you don’t need a lot of other ingredients. Obviously, that’s less prep time for you!
Brock and Roll!
Broccoli is a rockstar when it comes to nutrition. It’s loaded with vitamins C and K and gives reasonable doses of several B-vitamins (including folate). When cooked lightly, broccoli retains most of these nutrients. So be careful not to let it go mushy and drab in color. You want your broccoli to be bright green and keep some crunch after cooking.
Also, if you have the time consider chopping your broccoli in the morning and leaving it to sit through the day. Scientists showed that after a few hours, raw chopped broccoli forms a cancer-fighting chemical! However, to let this happen you need to cut it up and let it rest before cooking.
But What About the Protein?
Don’t worry, you’ll get plenty of satisfaction from this meal. Just because it’s a vegan stir fry doesn’t mean we forgot to add protein. In fact – we’re using meat. WHEAT MEAT, that is! We’re talking about seitan, of course. Seitan is a delicious, high protein food made from wheat gluten. It has a hearty texture and tastes great when grilled, baked, or roasted.
What’s more, the amount of protein and iron in seitan is similar to beef. However, unlike beef, seitan has ZERO saturated fat, ZERO cholesterol, and causes ZERO harm to animals. In summary, it’s better for you, the environment, and our four-legged friends.
Now obviously you can’t eat seitan if you are allergic or intolerant to gluten. In that case, there are plenty of delicious options. You can substitute extra-firm tofu, tempeh, or even some potatoes (leave the skin on for maximum protein delivery).
How To Nail your Stir-fry
- Make sure all your ingredients are prepared before you start (including the black bean sauce and mixture).
- Get your pan very hot before you start cooking.
- Let the seitan warm up to room temperature, while preparing the vegetables.
- Consider cooking your stir-fry in small batches if you have a small pan or a low-power burner.
- Cook the broccoli with , cover with a lid to steam.
- Add the seitan strips, stir in black bean sauce, and then arrowroot mixture, stir everything together.
- Serve it right away! Add if you like.
We hope you enjoy this vegan Broccoli and Black Bean stir fry as much as we do! If you tried it, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.Print
You’ll love this delicious recipe for Broccoli with Black Bean Sauce. Dinner is on the table in a flash with this super-quick and simple vegan stir fry
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 crown broccoli (around 10 ounces / 280 grams), cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 8 ounces / 225 grams seitan (wheat protein), sliced into strips*
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Black Bean Sauce
- 3 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons organic dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- Prepare stir-fry thickener by mixing together arrowroot flour and water. Set aside. Next prepare the black bean sauce mixture by whisking together black bean sauce with dark brown sugar, low sodium soy sauce or tamari and sriracha. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over high heat, and once the skillet is very hot add the broccoli, vegetable broth, garlic and ginger. Stir and then cover with a lid to steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Into the skillet of steamed broccoli add the seitan strips and the black bean sauce mixture, stir to combine. Then stir in the arrowroot thickener and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the seitan is heater through and the sauce has thickened. Stir in sesame oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Divide rice between two bowls and top with broccoli and black bean sauce stir-fry. Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
- *If you are allergic or intolerant to gluten, you can substitute seitan (wheat protein) for extra-firm tofu, tempeh, or even some potatoes (leave the skin on for maximum protein delivery).
- Double the recipe to make extra for lunch or dinner the next day!
Keywords: black bean sauce recipe, vegan stir-fry recipe, The Plant Riot