Savory and hearty, this creamy butternut squash pasta garnished with fresh thyme is the perfect comfort food for chilly fall days.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, skin removed and chopped into small cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium brown onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups clear vegetable broth*
- 1 cup oat milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme (sage and parsley is also be delicious)
- 14 oz / 397 grams pasta
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add olive oil, onions, and squash. Cook for 10 minutes until the onions become caramelized and the squash starts to soften and brown, stir regularly.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the squash is tender and the broth has reduced.
- While the butternut squash mixture is simmering, start preparing the pasta. Fill a large pot with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Back to the butternut squash mixture; add oat milk and nutritional yeast. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove butternut squash mixture from heat and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before blending. Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender), blend butternut squash mixture until smooth and creamy. If using a counter top blender, return creamy butternut squash pasta sauce to the pot.
- Add cooked pasta to the blended butternut squash pasta sauce, stir carefully to combine. If necessary, reheat the butternut squash pasta sauce to your desired temperature. Divide pasta between six servings and sprinkle with fresh thyme (for herbs of choice).
- *Use vegetable broth that is clear, not tomato-based, as you want to retain the beautiful color and taste of the butternut squash.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: butternut squash pasta sauce, butternut squash pasta sauce, vegan pasta sauce, the plant riot