This creamy and decadent loaded potato soup has the warmth and nourishment you crave in cold weather. Don’t wait – it’s time for homemade potato soup!
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large leeks (4 cups – white and light green “stalks” only), well washed and finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2–3 teaspoons smoked paprika (alternatively use chipotle powder)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 2.25 lbs / 1 kg Yukon Gold, Russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (1/2 to 1 inches / 1.25 cms to 2.5 cms cubes)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups oat milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To serve (top your soup with some or all of these):
- Place a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and sauce the garlic, leeks, celery and carrots until leeks are soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle in the smoked paprika, flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir until the vegetable are coated and there are no lumps.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the ingredients to a boil and then immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook the soup until the potatoes are soft enough to squash with the back of a wooden spoon, around 20 minutes. Remove soup from the heat.
- Let the soup cool for around 10 minutes, then add the oat milk and nutritional yeast, stir to combine. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender or countertop blender. Blend the soup to your desired consistency.
- Creamy potato soup: blend the soup until smooth.
- Half smooth/half chunky creamy potato soup: blend half of the soup until smooth.
- Chunky creamy potato soup: blend a quarter of the soup or don’t blend at all!
- If you used a countertop blender, return the blended soup to the pot, stir to combine (if the soup is a little too thick, add a little vegetable broth until your desired consistency is achieved). Reheat if needed.
- Serve the soup hot, loaded with your favorite toppings (dollop of vegan sour cream, sprinkle of grated vegan cheese and green onions/chives, a pinch of smoked paprika/chipotle powder and tempeh crumbs). Feel free to use all or some of these toppings! Enjoy!
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3 days! Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop as needed. You may need to add a splash of vegetable broth if the soup has thickened too much. If the soup is a little too thick, add a little vegetable broth until your desired consistency is achieved.
- If the soup is a little too thick, add a little vegetable broth until your desired consistency is achieved.
Keywords: creamy potato soup, loaded potato soup, homemade potato soup, The Plant Riot