When the weather’s warm it’s time to get outside and grill some burgers! And when it’s cold, nothing cheers you up like a tasty veggie patty on a soft, warm bun. So basically, it’s always time to have a burger! With this easy black bean burger recipe, you’ll always be ready to squash that craving.
We’ve Bean Working Hard
We spent a lot of time getting the texture right for these babies! A burger that was too soft, bland, or crumbly just wouldn’t do. Here’s how we worked it out:
- The recipe mashes 2/3 of the black beans but leaves 1/3 of them whole to make sure the burger has some texture!
- Meanwhile, the rice, sweet potato, and mashed beans are easily formed into a solid patty.
- Also, the rice and flax seeds soak up enough moisture to make sure the burger isn’t mushy. As a result, it holds together beautifully on a skillet or grill.
However, great texture needs great flavor too, right? That’s why we added some “nooch” (nutritional yeast), onion, and our favorite vegan BBQ sauce. What’s more, when these burgers hit the grill the rice gets crispy and brown, adding a nutty flavor.
When the grilling is done, dress up your patties with some classic condiments. We enjoyed burgers with lettuce, tomato, fresh onion, and a little vegan mayonnaise. Oh man, this article is making us hungry.
Are Black Bean Veggie Burgers Healthy?
When you get to the recipe, you’ll see we’ve packed a lot of goodness into our black bean burgers. The three major ingredients are black beans, brown rice, and sweet potato. These wholesome foods are full of nutrients. For example:
- Fiber: each patty contains about 8 grams of fiber. That’s 20 – 30% of the recommended daily intake (38 grams for men, and 25 grams for women). So dig in, because many people only get half the fiber they need!
- Protein: this recipe also supplies a 12 gram dose of protein – that’s one nutritious vegan burger! Just one patty gives almost a quarter of the protein you need for the day.
- Vitamins and Minerals: you’ll also find B vitamins, folate, and important minerals in the mix.
There’s also not an ounce of added fat in the patty. That sounds pretty healthy, don’t you think?
Can you Freeze Black Bean Burgers?
Absolutely – this recipe is great for meal prepping some vegan burgers! The process is quite simple. Just lay the burgers out on a tray lined with parchment. Then, freeze for about 1 hour. Once the patties are frozen, you can transfer them to a sealed container or ziplock bag. Your black bean burgers will keep for about 1 month. Note: don’t waste the plastic bag. Once you’ve eaten all the burgers, wash the bag out and use it for the next batch.
Now it’s time for us to leave you with your beans! Have fun making these Black Bean veggie burgers, and if you try them, please leave a comment and a rating. Every bit of feedback makes The Plant Riot even better!Print
Delicious Black Bean + Brown Rice Burger Recipe
It’s time for a super tasty black bean burger recipe – it’s also vegan and gluten-free! Do you know what that means? Delicious burgers for everyone!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 burger patties 1x
- 1.5 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed. Mash 1 cup of black beans, and leave 1/2 cup whole.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sweet and smoky BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado oil or olive oil spray
To serve (optional)
- Place all burger ingredients (besides cooking oil spray) into a large mixing bowl. Mix well using a spoon or your hands (our preferred method!) to combine.
- Using wet hands, form the black bean and brown rice mixture into six burger patties.
- Spray skillet with a little cooking oil and cook burgers over medium-low heat for 7 minutes, flip burger patties and cook for a further 7 minutes. Transfer burger patties to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the bread rolls to the skillet over medium heat, and brown for about 1-2 minutes per side. (optional)
- Top toasted burger buns with salad, burger patties and condiments of choice.
- Nutrition information is calculated for the burger patty only.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: black bean burger recipe, vegan burger recipe, black beans veggie burger, vegan burger, veggie burger, The Plant Riot