Do you need a super easy + vegan pie crust recipe? Well, this is it! Check out our tips and tricks for making flaky pie crust fast with your food processor.
- 3–4 tablespoons of Ice water (water mixed with ice cubes)
- 1 1/4 cup organic all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 1 stick (4oz /115 grams) cold dairy-free butter/vegan butter, cut into cubes and keep cold
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil spray or dairy-free butter/vegan butter
- Prepare ice water by adding a handful of ice cubes into a small bowl. Fill with water and then set aside to chill.
- Prepare a 9 inch (23cm) pie dish by greasing the dish with a little cooking oil or dairy-free butter.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor, mix the dough together using short pulses. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired texture is formed (you will need around 3-4 tablespoons of water). While pulsing, watch the dough and stop mixing as soon as it starts clumping together.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and form into a ball. Place the dough ball into a bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel, and rest/chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Turn the chilled pastry out onto a flour dusted pastry board (or clean surface). Roll it flat, and then fold the dough in half. Roll it flat again and repeat the process until you’ve flattered and folded six times (this step helps with the flakiness of the pastry).
- Cover the pastry board/counter with a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, top with dough ball. Roll the dough out one more time into a round disk the size of a 12 inch/30cm circle. Keep the rolled pastry on the parchment paper, then pick up the parchment paper/pastry and flip the pastry circle over into the pie dish and then carefully push the pastry down to form the bottom and walls of the crust. Don’t worry if the pastry cracks a little – your can fix those bits up!
- Trim the edges using a butter knife (save the trimmings [see notes]). Place the pastry filled pie dish into the refrigerator until needed.
- When the pie crust is baked, will depend on the filling.
- Uncooked pie crust: if an uncooked pie crust is needed, follow the baking instructions in relevant pie recipe post.
- Blind baked pie crust: if a baked pie crust is needed for your recipe, preheat the over to 375/190C, line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill with baking beads or uncooked rice or beans. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown. Allow to cool and then follow relevant recipe for filling instructions.
- See post for lots of trouble shooting tips to ensure your pastry turns out perfect!
- This recipe can be easily doubled, should you like to make a double crust pie. Simply double the ingredients, combine, and then divide the dough in half. Use half for the dough for the bottom or the pie and the remaining half for the top!
- Save the trimmings for decoration on top of the pie. If you made a double batch of pastry dough, fold the trimmings into the second half of the dough.
- Pie pastry can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later use.
Keywords: easy pie crust recipe, vegan pie crust recipe, pie crust in food processor, The Plant Riot