A Plant Riot Holiday meal just isn’t complete without this vegan gravy recipe. Nothing beats having lashings of this classic sauce available to pour on mashed potatoes, veggies, a meatless roast – or pretty much anything on your plate! This easy gravy recipe has all the flavor of a traditional version but without the animal parts 😉. In our opinion, that’s the perfect formula for Holiday happiness!
How to make Vegan Gravy
The recipe for our vegan gravy is easy! It starts with four tablespoons of vegan butter, which you melt in a small pot. When this is hot, pop in the garlic, then slowly stir in the flour (use a whisk if you have one). You should end up with a smooth paste (or roux, if you want to get technical). Next, keep heating the mixture until it starts to bubble, allowing this to continue for about one minute.
Cooking the flour in fat (i.e. vegan butter) removes the ‘floury’ taste and helps it absorb liquid without clumping up. You can also play with the cooking time for the roux. It will start pale (or ‘blonde’) but can be cooked for longer to develop brown colors and nutty flavors.
Now you can start adding the veggie broth. Make sure you pour it in slowly, stirring continuously. If you add the liquid too quickly, it will go lumpy – our advice it to watch the roux carefully as you stir. It should maintain a pasty consistency, slowly becoming looser as you add broth. Eventually, it will reach a point where it becomes liquid, and you can add the rest of the broth more quickly.
‘Tis the Seasoning
We have a couple of easy suggestions for seasoning your vegan broth.
- If you prefer a lighter colored gravy, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Or, for a darker gravy, use soy sauce instead of the salt. This option will also add a little umami to the flavor.
- Also, if you’re in the mood, add some fresh, earthy herbs. We suggest rosemary, thyme, or parsley – but use your imagination!
We hope this easy recipe helps you make some tasty vegan gravy! If you try it, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better!
If you’re making gravy as part of a special meal, why not check out our Vegan Thanksgiving round-up for inspiration?Print
Easy Vegan Gravy Recipe | Classic + Delicious
Complete you vegan Holiday menu with this easy gravy recipe! Make lashings of it to pour over your vegan roast, mashed potatoes, veggies, and more!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups / 8 servings 1x
- Melt dairy-free/vegan butter in a skillet (or small pot) over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic, then slowly stir in the flour (feel free to use a whisk if you prefer). Stir or whisk until you have formed a roux (smooth paste). Keep heating the mixture until it starts to bubble, allowing this to continue for about one minute.
- Slowly pour the vegetable broth into the roux, stirring continuously until a smooth consistency is achieved (see notes for tips for achieving a smooth gravy).
- Season the gravy to suit your taste using salt, pepper or soy sauce. For a lighter colored gravy season with salt and freshly ground pepper. For a darker colored gravy use 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Stir well and do a final taste test to ensure the seasoning is perfect.
- Pour gravy into a bowl or gravy boat and serve while hot.
- If you add the liquid too quickly, it will go lumpy – our advice it to watch the roux carefully as you stir. It should maintain a pasty consistency, slowly becoming looser as you add broth. Eventually, it will reach a point where it becomes liquid, and you can add the rest of the broth more quickly.
Keywords: easy gravy recipe, vegan gravy recipe, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!