Complete you vegan Holiday menu with this easy gravy recipe! Make lashings of it to pour over your vegan roast, mashed potatoes, veggies, and more!
- Melt dairy-free/vegan butter in a skillet (or small pot) over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the garlic, then slowly stir in the flour (feel free to use a whisk if you prefer). Stir or whisk until you have formed a roux (smooth paste). Keep heating the mixture until it starts to bubble, allowing this to continue for about one minute.
- Slowly pour the vegetable broth into the roux, stirring continuously until a smooth consistency is achieved (see notes for tips for achieving a smooth gravy).
- Season the gravy to suit your taste using salt, pepper or soy sauce. For a lighter colored gravy season with salt and freshly ground pepper. For a darker colored gravy use 1-2 tablespoons of soy sauce and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Stir well and do a final taste test to ensure the seasoning is perfect.
- Pour gravy into a bowl or gravy boat and serve while hot.
- If you add the liquid too quickly, it will go lumpy – our advice it to watch the roux carefully as you stir. It should maintain a pasty consistency, slowly becoming looser as you add broth. Eventually, it will reach a point where it becomes liquid, and you can add the rest of the broth more quickly.
Keywords: easy gravy recipe, vegan gravy recipe, The Plant Riot