Check out this vegan recipe for our homemade hot chocolate mix! With a jar of it in the cupboard, you’re ready for warming, indulgent beverages all winter.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
To serve (serves 1):
Instructions to make: Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Put all the ingredients into the food processor and whiz it up until throughly mixed and powdered. It may take a few blasts to get the right texture (you want the sugar and cacao to be the same powdery texture).
- Scoop your homemade hot chocolate mix into a sealed container (we use a mason jar) and store in a cool dry place.
Instructions to make: Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Put two tablespoons of Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix into a large mug.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- Fill the mug with oat milk, stir, and microwave until hot (use the high setting, and heat for around 1 minute – then test and keep heat as necessary).
- Put 1.5 cups of full-fat oat milk and 2 tablespoons of Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix into a pot. If you would like to make the Deluxe Hot Chocolate recipe- at this stage add 1 tablespoon of chopped vegan chocolate chips.
- Whisk over medium heat until hot and frothy on top, making sure it doesn’t boil.
- Pour into a large mug (carefully).
- (optional) Top with vegan marshmallows, vegan/dairy-free whipped cream, and chocolate and/or candy cane shavings.
- Put your Home Hot Chocolate Mix in a sealed container and store in a cool, dry place (we use a mason jar). Under these conditions, cacao powder can last for up to 3 years.
- Preparation time is for making the hot chocolate mix only.
Keywords: homemade hot chocolate mix, hot chocolate recipe, vegan hot chocolate recipe, homemade hot chocolate, The Plant Riot