These airy pancakes will kickstart your mornings in the tastiest way! Is there anything more perfect than a warm stack of fluffy pancakes? Well – yes! There’s also the added satisfaction of making those pancakes from scratch. In addition, this pancake recipe is really easy, and totally vegan, so anyone can enjoy it!
These Pancakes are really Flippin’ Good!
The great thing about this recipe is that it uses ingredients you probably have around the house. In fact, all you need is:
- All-purpose flour
- Some plant milk (we like to use unsweetened almond, cashew or oat milk)
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Your choice of sweetener (we use 1-2 tablespoons of raw sugar or maple syrup)
- Oil or vegan butter
- A splash of vanilla
- A squeeze of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of salt
Better Pancakes Through Chemistry
These pancakes get fluffy due to the combination of baking soda and a little acid. Specifically, by acid, we mean something like lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. The pancakes get fluffy because the acid reacts with the soda to make carbon dioxide bubbles. The batter then puffs up as a result of the fizziness!
However, this fizziness will fizzle out, so don’t wait long before getting these cakes in their pan! Also, make sure you don’t overmix the batter because this leaves you with pancakes that are chewy, flat, and not fluffy at all.
There’s no Place like Home
We think making pancakes from scratch is just as easy as store-bought mixtures. You’ll cut calories, and also avoid hidden ingredients and hydrogenated oils. Homemade pancakes are also way tastier, and let’s be honest – that’s what really counts.
Don’t Get Burned
If you’re guilty of burning or undercooking pancakes, just watch for the air bubbles that form on the surface. Once they pop, flip immediately! When you do this, you avoid the burn and end up with fluffy, golden brown pancakes – just like we promised!
Now Stack ’em Up and Top ’em Off!
Now it’s time to top these airy pancakes and make them really shine. When your head hits the pillow tonight, start dreaming about:
- Fresh fruit, vegan butter, and a good drizzle of maple syrup.
- A bright squeeze of lemon, or the sharp flavor of cranberries and redcurrants (if you can find them, it’s totally worth it)
- If it’s a special occasion – then it’s time to get decadent with some chocolate chips and strawberries!
This recipe makes eight pancakes, but we’ll let you figure out how many servings that is. And we promise – even if you’re a night owl like us, these little beauties will make it easy to rise and shine!
So gang, how did these fluffy vegan pancakes stack up? Let us know with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better!Print
How to Make Fluffy Pancakes | Easy + Vegan
Thick and fluffy pancakes that are guaranteed to make your mornings a lot better and lot more delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 pancakes 1x
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plant milk (almond, cashew or oat works well)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons organic canola or coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil spray or coconut oil, to grease the skillet
Mix-in ideas (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries, strawberries, mixed berries
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries (halved) and 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries and 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat*. Grease the skillet with oil of choice, then pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the center of the skillet. Cook pancake until little bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook for another couple of minutes until the pancake is golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining batter.
Enjoy your Fluffy Pancakes warm with fresh fruit, a drizzle of maple syrup, chia jam and/or vegan butter!
- *I like to use two skillets so I get all my Fluffy Pancakes cooked more quickly!
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings.
Keywords: fluffy pancakes, vegan pancakes, easy pancake recipe, pancakes from scratch, how to make pancakes, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!