This vegan chile con “queso” recipe creates a warm, cheesy dip that will leave you wanting more! Try it with tortilla chips, tacos, burritos or even pizza and pasta!
- Soak the raw cashews using one of the following methods:
- Cover with cool water and place in the fridge overnight
- Cover with cool water and sit at room temperature for 3-4 hrs
- Cover with near-boiling water and sit for 1 hr
- TIP: if the cashews are soft enough you’ll be able to squash them between your fingers.
- Drain cashews and place into a high powdered blender with 1/4 cup water, jalapeño peppers, crushed red pepper, ground cumin and salt.
- Blend on medium-high until smooth and creamy (around 2-3 minutes). The mixture will warm up as it blends.
- Sprinkle in the grated vegan cheese and extra water (add 1/4 cup of water to begin, then add more as needed to achieve the desired consistency).
- Blend for another 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and the vegan queso is super smooth, creamy and warm.
- Pour vegan queso into a bowl and serve while still warm. Enjoy wherever you’d normally add cheese!
- Vegan queso will be good for up to 5 days if stored in the fridge. If you can’t get through it in that amount of time, then it can be frozen for at least a month. To reheat the queso from the fridge, use the stovetop or microwave (stick to gentle heat). However, to reheat from frozen, you’ll need to thaw it overnight first, then warm it in the same way.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: vegan queso, chile con queso, vegan queso recipe, The Plant Riot