Instant Pot steel-cut oats are nutty, chewy, and delicious. They also require just a few store-cupboard ingredients to make! Unlike other methods, cooking your steel cut oats in the Instant Pot will give you a creamy texture with just a little bite, with very little preparation needed! This recipe serves four, making it the perfect option for families or busy meal-preppers. Feel free to double the quantity if you’re cooking for a crowd!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
This recipe for steel-cut oats uses just three ingredients: steel-cut oats, water/plant-based milk, and a pinch of salt! Water and plant-based milk can be used interchangeably, depending on how rich and creamy you like your oats.
Steel-Cut Oats vs Rolled Oats
Steel-cut oats, also known as Irish oatmeal, are the least processed of all the oat varieties. They have a chewier texture and a nuttier flavor than their rolled counterparts and take slightly longer to prepare. Rolled oats, on the other hand, have been steamed and flattened to give them a milder flavor and softer texture.
How to make Steel-Cut Oats in an Instant Pot
- To make steel-cut oats in an Instant Pot begin by coating the inside of your cooker with a little cooking spray or vegan butter. This will ensure your oats don’t stick to the sides while they cook, and save your pot from displaying the dreaded burn message.
- Next, combine steel-cut oats, water or milk, and a pinch of salt in your Instant Pot. You won’t be able to taste the salt, but it will help bring out the subtle, creamy flavor of your oats.
- Place on the lid, move the valve to seal, and press ‘pressure cook’ (high pressure). It should take around 10 minutes for your Instant Pot to reach full pressure. Cook in this mode for 4 minutes, and allow 15-20 for the pressure to naturally release.
Tip: In a rush? Flip the knob to venting and waiting for the pressure to be released before removing the lid.
- Once cooked, give your steel-cut oats a good stir until creamy and smooth. You might find some liquid on top of your oatmeal – just stir this through until you have an even texture.
- Top with any extras you fancy. We tend to opt for maple syrup, fresh fruit, or a handful of chopped nuts.
Steel-cut Oats Recipe Swaps
There’s a ton of ways to personalize and adapt this recipe, depending on your tastes, dietary requirements, and budget. Take a look at these suggestions for inspiration!
Try different plant milks: Swap water for sweetened or unsweetened oat, soy, or almond milk.
Add spices: I love adding a pinch of warm spices to my instant pot oats before cooking. My favorites are ground cinamon, ginger, and cardamom
Flavors: Add a couple of drops of vanilla extract or essence to your oats before cooking for a twist on the classic recipe.
Nuts and seeds: Sprinkle chopped nuts or seeds over your steel-cut oats for an extra satisfying and tasty breakfast treat.
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Nut butter
Top with fruit: Fresh or frozen fruit goes great with instant pot steel-cut oats. My favorites are ripe mashed banana and grated apple. Or, mix it up with a handful of dried fruit – raisins, cranberries, apricots, and coconut all taste amazing.
How to Serve Instant Pot Steel-Cut Oats
Divide your oatmeal into four bowls and load up with toppings. Fresh fruit, nut butter, seeds, dairy-free yogurt – get creative! The options are endless!
How to reheat steel-cut oats
Store any leftover oatmeal in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. When you’re ready to eat them, reheat leftovers in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (add a splash of water or plant milk if desired), stir well and add toppings of choice.
If needed, you can also store leftovers in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, or extend the microwave reheating time by a couple of minutes.Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!