Lentil Loaf | Cozy, Comforting + Meal-prep Ready
It’s time to CHOW DOWN on delicious LENTIL LOAF – the perfect vegan alternative to meatloaf! Enjoy it as a cozy dinner, portable lunch, or Holiday meal!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf / 10 slices 1x
- Cook brown rice with 2 cups of vegetable broth using your preferred method. We like to cook our brown rice on the stove top or by using an Instant Pot.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together ground flax seeds with the remaining 6 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Set aside to thicken.
- Toast the walnuts into a skillet pan over medium heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat to cool. Chop into small pieces and then set aside.
- Heat the skillet pan again over medium heat. Add olive oil, finely chopped onion and garlic, sauté until onion has softened, around 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat the over to 350F/175C and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Into a mixing bowl add cooked brown rice, flax eggs, toasted walnut pieces, sautéed onion and garlic, drained lentils, ketchup, fresh herbs, and a pinch of salt and pepper, mix well. Using a potato masher (or wooden spoon), mash the lentil mixture to breakdown the lentils and rice. Taste the lentil mixture and adjust seasoning to taste. Mashing will help bind the ingredients together and prevent the Lentil Loaf from falling apart.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into the lined loaf pan and place into the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the lentil loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes, then remove the Lentil Loaf from the pan and cut using a serrated knife.
Enjoy a slice or two of your Lentil Loaf with a little ketchup, a drizzle of gravy and a side of steamed vegetables.
Store Lentil Loaf in an airtight container in the fridge and consume within 3 days. Reheat as needed in the microwave.
- This recipe is great for meal prep! You can make this recipe a few days ahead, and even store in the freezer for up to a month.
Keywords: lentil loaf, vegan lentil loaf, vegan meatloaf, The Plant Riot