Marinara sauce is a light, uncomplicated beauty that is delicious served on its own with pasta. It also forms the basis of endless other recipes, so every cook should have a homemade marinara sauce recipe under their belt. We think you’ll find our version smooth, delicious, and totally addictive! What’s more, we’ve used a few tricks to bring the cooking time to 15 minutes. Also, our marinara sauce uses only 8 ingredients – and four of those are herbs and spices! That means you can have a comforting meal ready on the tightest of schedules.
How to make Marinara Sauce
If well organized, you can create this homemade marinara sauce in the same amount of time needed to cook pasta (about 15 minutes). We recommend cooking it in a skillet instead of a pot. This method provides a greater surface area for evaporation, meaning your sauce will thicken quickly.
Our marinara sauce recipe comes together in a few simple steps, using only seven ingredients:
- Puree some onion and garlic – when pureed instead of chopped, they cook quickly and don’t need long to soften.
- Add some olive oil to a skillet and warm over medium heat.
- Throw in the onion and garlic, which should start to sizzle. Then, sauté these ingredients until they are soft and smelling delicious, but don’t let them go brown.
- Stir in some dried basil and oregano. Note: make sure your dried herbs aren’t stale.
According to stilltasy.com dried herbs will keep for 1-4 years. Although this seems like a long time, how long ago did you buy new herbs? Can’t remember? Neither can we 😉.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the canned tomato puree and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Again, we use the puree to make sure the sauce is silky-smooth as quickly as possible.
Don’t use pre-favored tomato puree. Instead, choose a brand that’s tomatoes only. The flavor you add yourself will taste much better.
How to use the Sauce
- Toss it through a long, thin pasta variety (spaghetti). Never dump the sauce on a pile of pasta. Instead, cook the pasta until al dente. Then, toss the pasta with enough sauce to coat every strand – but don’t drown it!
- Make it the base sauce for some Lentil Bolognese.
- Use it as a sauce on our Gluten-Free and Cauliflower pizza crusts (you might need it a little thicker than for other uses)
- Smother it on some vegan meatballs.
We hope our recipe helped your make some great homemade Marinara Sauce! If you tried it, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.Print
Our homemade marinara sauce recipe is ready in 15 minutes with only 8 ingredients. It’s perfect with pasta, and is the tasty base for countless other meals!
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large can (28oz/795grams) tomato puree
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley and basil, chopped
- Place onion and garlic into a food processor and puree until finely chopped.
- Into a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, pureed onions and garlic, dried basil and dried oregano. Sauté onions for a couple of minutes and then add tomato puree and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring the marinara sauce to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste the marinara sauce and adjust seasoning to suit your taste. If desired, sprinkle marinara sauce with fresh herbs. Serve marinara sauce while hot alongside your favorite vegan meatballs, vegan mozzarella sticks or pasta! Enjoy!
Store marinara sauce in a sealed container in the fridge and consume within 3 days. Alternatively, place in the freezer for a month or so. Reheat the marinara sauce as needed.
Keywords: marinara sauce recipe, marinara sauce homemade, marinara sauce ingredients, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!