It’s no secret that pancakes are the best! After all, check out the facts: they come in stacks, soak up syrup, handle all kinds of toppings and mix-ins, and make you happy! What other breakfast food can claim all of that? However, if you eat gluten-free, you might worry about being left out. Well – stop worrying! We make these orange pancakes with almond flour – that means the recipe is gluten-free (and it’s vegan, too)!
However, there’s no compromise in flavor. The almond flour provides a nutty flavor and buttery texture. On top of that, oranges pair perfectly with almonds. That citrusy zest also cuts through the richness of the nuts and balances the pancake sweetness perfectly.
Seasonal Pancakes for Chilly Mornings
We especially love these pancakes on a winter morning. Why? Well beyond being the beauty of warm breakfast on a cold day, it’s the perfect time for oranges! That’s right, oranges might seem summery, but many are best at the end of the year and throughout winter.
Why use Almond Flour?
There are plenty of gluten-free flours out there – so why did we chose almond for our pancakes? Well, we really enjoy the way it tastes. It has a rich nuttiness that you can’t get from grain-based flours. Being nut-based, it’s also low in carbs, but high in protein and healthy fats. These features help make the pancakes a little more filling and satisfying than regular wheat flour ones.
How to make Almond Flour Pancakes
Cooking pancakes with almond flour isn’t much different from following a regular recipe. The important steps are:
- Pour all the ingredients into a bowl
- Mix until combined into a batter
- Heat your skillet and grease it with just enough oil to coat the surface
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet
- Cook the pancake until it bubbles on top
- Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown (this will take a couple of minutes)
- Move the finished pancake somewhere to keep warm, then go back to Step 1 and repeat this process until the batter is used up
- Stack the pancakes up and serve with orange slices, maple syrup, and maybe a little powdered sugar
We hope you enjoy these vegan Orange Almond Flour Pancakes, whether it’s on a crisp winter morning or a sunny brunch! If you try them, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better.
If you’re looking for something more traditional, check out our Fluffy Pancake recipe. Or if it’s gluten-free breakfast you’re looking for, you might like our Zesty Oatmeal Hazelnut Waffles and Lemon Lavender Blueberry Scones.Print
Our delicious orange almond flourpancakes are nutty and buttery, with a bright citrusy freshness – they’re also gluten-free and vegan. What’s not to love?
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup 1-for-1 gluten-free flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice (juice from one orange)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil spray, to grease the skillet
To serve (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat*. Grease the skillet with oil of choice, then pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the center of the skillet. Cook pancake until little bubbles form on the surface, then flip and cook for another couple of minutes until the pancake is golden brown on both sides. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Enjoy your Orange Almond FlourPancakes warm with fresh orange slices and maple syrup (and a light sprinkle of organic powdered sugar, if desired).
Enjoy your breakfast!
- *I like to use two skillets so I get all my Orange Almond FlourPancakes cooked more quickly!
- Flowers are for decoration purposes only- please do not eat any flowers unless you are 100% certain they are edible.
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings.
Keywords: almond flour pancakes, almond flour pancake recipe, vegan almond flour pancakes, gluten free pancakes, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!