If like me, you love your food savory, sweet, and just a little bit spicy, then this Thai inspired pineapple fried rice recipe will be right up your alley. Colorful, wholesome, and bursting with caramelized pineapple, this fried is a winning combination of light and healthy, but satisfying. Enjoy as a side dish to a stir fry, or pile into a bowl for a deliciously hearty main meal.
The best rice for pineapple fried rice
Unlike sushi rice works best, as it fluffs up nicely when cooked, and is lower in starch. Basmati can also work, so if you have some leftover from a different meal then feel free to switch it up. Some recipes will suggest using , but in my experience, the texture is too sticky to achieve a fluffy result., pineapple fried calls for a non-sticky variety of grain. The consensus is that long grain
How to prepare fried rice
One of the biggest issues people encounter when they make their own pineapple friedis stodgy grains. This method prevents your sticking together, meaning the grains are tender, but keep their shape once fried.
There are two important factors for preventing mushy. First, your must be cold. Second, your must be dry. If you hit both of these then you’ll find the rest of the process a breeze.
Start by cooking your rice using your normal method. I use an for speed. Once cooked, spread your over a cookie sheet or large tray so that you have a super-thin layer. Leave to cool at room temperature for a couple of hours, or overnight if you have time. Place in the fridge if you plan to make fried that day. Don’t cover while your grains are still warm, otherwise, the will continue to cook from the residual heat. Once cool, you can cover and store until needed.
Best vegetables for pineapple fried rice
This recipe is a great way to disguise vegetables if you’re feeding a fussy eater. Most vegetables work in this dish, but my favorites are red bell pepper over the other colors because it’s super sweet, and compliments the pineapple. The carrots, corn, and peas came as a frozen vegetable medley and can be swapped out for whatever combination you prefer. Obviously you can also use fresh produce, but be aware this will add a little extra to your prep time., carrots, corn, and peas. I favor red
How to cut pineapple
In my opinion, fresh pineapple works better in friedthan canned. It tends to be juicier, making it sweeter and more flavorsome when caramelised.
- Begin by removing the top and bottom of the pineapple with a large, sharp .
- Remove the skin by sliding your from top to bottom, following the natural curve of the pineapple.
- Slice in half lengthways, then place the fruit flat side down on your cutting board.
- Slice in half lengthways again, so that you have four wedge-shaped sections.
- Remove the core, then cut the flesh into bite-sized pieces.
If you only have access to canned pineapple make sure you opt for the “in juice” variety rather than syrup.
How to make Thai pineapple fried rice
Once yourand pineapple are prepared, you’re ready to start cooking.
- Begin by frying* your tofu over medium heat, until golden brown on all sides. Once cooked remove from heat and set aside.
- Add more oil to the skillet and cook your peppers, pineapple, and garlic for 3 minutes.
- Toss in your frozen vegetables and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
- Crumble into pan
- Add **, ***, and seasoning, and cook until the is heated through.
- Serve with green onions and a sprinkling of cilantro
* I love using coconut oil for this, because it gives the dish a tropical feel. If you prefer a more neutral flavor then you can use canola or vegetable oil in its place.
** This recipe will give your pineapple fried frieda mild kick, so if you like things a little fierier then add another tablespoon of or 1 teaspoon of .
*** If you want your friedto be a little saltier then I recommend adding a dash of , rather than extra . Too much soy will make your darker than the photos, and overpower the rest of the dish.
Looking for more tasty recipes?
These are some of our readers favorites:
BBQ Jackfruit | Smoky + Flavorful
Corn Salad Recipe | Summer In A Bowl
Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Crispy Comfort Food
Kale Salad with Apple, Blood Orange, Pomegranate
We hope you enjoy this guide on how to make Pineapple Fried! If you try our recipe, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better.Print
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!