How to make the tastiest vegan pumpkin pie recipe | Bake this festive pumpkin pie with canned or fresh pumpkin puree and pantry ingredients!
- 1/4 cup water
- 2–3 ice cubes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or 1:1 gluten-free flour + extra for dusting
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces / 113 grams) cold vegan butter, chopped
- Cooking oil spray
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare ice water by placing water and ice cubes in a small bowl. Set aside to chill.
- Place flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt into a food processor, pulse to mix. Add cold vegan butter and process until the mixture is well combined. Add 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, until the pastry resembles breadcrumbs (you shouldn’t need more than 2 tablespoons of ice water).
- Turn 3/4 of the pastry out onto a flour-dusted surface (the remaining 1/4 will be used for the decoration). Roll out the pastry, fold in half and roll out again. Repeat rolling and folding 6 times (this step helps with the flakiness of the pastry).
- Prepare a 9 inch/23cm pie dish by spraying with a little cooking oil. Cover the surface with large piece of parchment paper and top with pastry. Roll pastry into a 12 inch/30cm circle. Flip the rolled pastry circle over and then carefully invert into the pie dish. (Don’t worry if the pastry cracks a little- you can fix those bits up. Trim the edges and add cuttings to the pastry you have saved for the decoration).
- Roll out the remaining 1/4 of the pastry dough. Using a small cookie cutter, cut shapes into the pastry**. Transfer pastry shapes to a plate lined with a parchment paper. Place the pie dish and pastry shapes into the freezer for 10 minutes for the pastry to firm up while you prepare the pumpkin pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Prepare the pumpkin pie filling by placing all ingredients into a food processor or large mixing bowl, and blitz or stir until well combined, ensuring that the mixture is smooth and creamy and no cornstarch lumps are present.
- Remove pie from the freezer, then pour pumpkin pie mixture into the pasty cavity and smooth out the surface.
- Bake your vegan pumpkin pie for 30 minutes. Then remove the pie from the oven and add the pastry shapes around the edge, pressing down lightly so the pastry shapes stick to the pie. Mix together sugar and pumpkin spice, then sprinkle over the pastry shapes.
- Bake your vegan pumpkin pie for a further 25-30 minutes until cracks start to appear on the surface of the pie or until a skewer inserted into the pie comes out clean.
- Serve with warm or cold with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and non-dairy whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- **I used a 1.5 inch (4 cm) cookie cutter and needed 20 pastry love hearts.
- Preparation time reflects using pumpkin you roasted ahead of time or canned pumpkin.
Keywords: vegan pumpkin pie, gluten-free pumpkin pie, vegan gluten-free pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie spice, vegan baking, the plant riot