Spanakopita Triangles with Vegan Feta
Try our recipe for vegan Spanakopita Triangles! They’re the same crispy, cheesy treats you love, but with plant-based ingredients. What’s not to love?
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 18 triangles 1x
- Remove phyllo pastry from the freezer to defrost. Once defrosted, cut each of the phyllo pastry sheets into three vertical strips. Cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Place defrosted spinach into a fine mesh strainer, and using the back of a spoon to press out any excess liquid. Set aside.
- Into a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, finely chopped onion and garlic, sauté until the onion has softened. Set aside in the fridge or freezer to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat over to 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Into a medium size bowl, add the defrosted and pressed spinach, cooked onion and garlic, non-dairy/vegan feta cheese, nutritional yeast, fresh dill and parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, mix well to combine. Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning to suit you taste (don’t add too much salt as feta is already a little salty).
- To make the Spanakopita Triangles:
- Place three phyllo strips vertically on a clean dry surface, then brush the phyllo strips with a little olive oil or non-dairy butter.
- Add a tablespoon-sized dollop of spinach mixture to the bottom of each strip.
- Fold the bottom corner of the phyllo over the filling diagonally to create a triangular shape. Flip the triangle over again, making sure you maintain the triangle shape. Keep folding and flipping until you make your way up to the top of the phyllo. Try to keep the folding tight to help prevent the filling from spilling out during baking.
- Brush the surface and edges with a little olive oil or non-dairy butter to help seal the edges of the pastry.
- Transfer spanakopita triangles to baking tray, and repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer baking tray to the oven and bake spanakopita triangles for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the tray from the oven and transfer the spanakopita triangles to a serving platter or bowl. Serve immediately! Enjoy!
- This spanakopita recipe freezes well, so after you fold the triangles, put them in a sealed container and then into the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready, transfer them from the freezer to the oven and cook as per the recipe. Don’t let the frozen spanakopita thaw out because they’re likely to go soggy. Add another 10 minutes to the cooking time to allow for defrosting.
Keywords: spanakopita triangles, spanakopita recipe, spanakopita vegan, The Plant Riot