I am looking out the window, and seeing fresh buds on the trees, squirrels climbing around, and bunnies on the ground. Therefore, I’m ready to announce it – Spring is actually here 😍! Obviously, it’s a great time to brighten your diet with some lovely green vegetables! In addition, we’ll pump up this dish’s nutrition with spicy lentils and some pasta (a healthy portion, of course).
Put a spring in your step!
For this recipe I focused on green vegetable intake, using asparagus, sugar snap peas, baby peas, spinach, and mint. I chose these because what color says “spring” louder than green?
But you know us, it’s not just about looks, there is always a healthy motive behind these decisions 😉. Among these veggies, you’ll find sources of protein, vitamins, and even iron! There is also plenty of fiber, which we all know is great for your insides. So with all these greens, this recipe will really put a spring in your step!
When in doubt – add lentils!
If you’ve spent some time around this blog, you know we love lentils. In fact, lentils are prized around the world as a source of nutrition and protein. They are also super versatile – they work well in everything from salads to bolognese sauce!
In this dish, lentils add fiber, protein, and vitamins to the spring greens and pasta, without a big calorie bump. You’ll also get a snappy, aromatic zip because we’re adding chili and cumin to these babies!
Are you all ears yet?
This dish keeps things fun by tossing the spring greens and lentils through orecchiette pasta. Did you know that orecchiette is named for its shape? It translates to “little ear” in Italian (when you see it, you’ll understand). As a result of its shape, this pasta scoops up the flavor and delivers it straight to your mouth! 😋
Have we convinced you yet? If the promise of a healthy meal and great flavor don’t quite capture you, consider this – it’s ready in 15 minutes! Get that water boiling, start your prep, and you’ll be enjoying green vegetables, spicy lentils, and wholesome pasta in no time. What could be better after you’ve had a busy day out there crushing it?
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better!Print
Spring greens and Spicy Lentils with Pasta
Delicious green vegetables and spicy, aromatic lentils tossed through orecchiette. This pasta dish is so easy it will be on the table in 15 minutes. Dig in!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 12 ounces / 340 grams of orecchiette (or pasta of choice)
- 4 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil + extra for serving
- 1 can lentils (15 ounces / 425 grams), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (chili)
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup snap peas, halved
- 1 cup baby peas (fresh or frozen will work!)
- 1 cup spinach or baby kale
- 10 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside. Keep warm.
- Place your skillet over medium heat. Add oil, lentils, nutritional yeast and spices, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until lentils are heated through.
- Add asparagus and snap peas to the lentil mixture. Stir well and cook for another 2 minutes (cover skillet with a lid to trap the heat to help steam the asparagus and sugar snap peas). If the mixture becomes dry, add up to 1/4 cup of water. Next, add the baby peas and spinach/baby kale and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add your green veggies and spicy lentil mixture to the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with mint and stir to combine.
- Divide your Spring greens and Spicy Lentils with Orecchiette Pasta between six bowls. If desired drizzle with a little extra garlic infused olive oil. Enjoy!
- Before you prepare this meal, be sure to start boiling a large pot of salted water (water with a pinch of salt). Your 15 minutes starts when you pop the pasta into the water and start preparing the spring greens and spicy lentils.
- Make sure you cook your vegetables quickly to help retain their vibrant color.
- This dish tastes great hot or cold, so take leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: spring greens, spicy lentils, orecchiette, green vegetables, pasta dish, lentils nutrition, vegan recipes, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!