A delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe that makes the ultimate comfort food! Plus, learn the secret to creating perfect crisp and crumble toppings.
Strawberry & Rhubarb Filling
- 4 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen), trim and cut large strawberries in half*
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb (around 4 to 5 stalks), trim and cut into 2 inch / 5cm lengths*
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- Zest of half an orange
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Into a large bowl, add the strawberry and rhubarb filling ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Pour mixture into an 12 inches x 9 inches / 30cm x 23 cm overproof dish. Smooth over the mixture and fill in any holes (you want the crisp topping to sit on top of the filling, not wander down the holes/sides).
- Into a medium size bowl, add the crisp topping ingredients. Stir well to combine. Cover the strawberry and rhubarb filling with the crisp topping mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until crumble topping has turned golden brown and the fruit has started to bubble up the side of the dish.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for around 10 minutes (the fruit will be super hot!). Serve warm with a dollop of vegan vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- *Avoid the temptation to cut the strawberries and rhubarb into smaller pieces. The fruit will break down during the baking process and go jammy and delicious.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb recipe, crumble topping, crisp recipe, rhubarb recipe, vegan recipes, vegan dessert recipes, gluten-free vegan, the plant riot