Stuffed shells recipe with vegan ricotta, spinach, and fresh herbs | Creamy, Cheesy + Tasty! | Perfect for lunch, dinner, meal prep and potlucks!
16 large pasta shells
Pinch of salt
Vegan Ricotta with Spinach + Fresh Herbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, finely
3 garlic cloves, minced
5oz/140g frozen spinach, defrosted
1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup vegan ricotta cheese
1 x 16oz / 454g jar Otomot Organic Essential Sauce (tomato sauce)
1/2 cup water
Fresh herbs, roughly chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the large pasta shells to the pot and cook until al dente. Drain and set the cooked pasta shells aside to cool.
- Into a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and garlic, and cook until softened. Then add spinach, herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook until spinach and herbs are heated through. Transfer to a bowl and allow spinach mixture to cool for 15-30 minutes. Then add the vegan ricotta cheese and stir until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 400F/205C.
- Into a 8×24 inch / 20x35cm baking dish, add 3/4 cup of Otamot Organic Essential Sauce (tomato sauce). Using the back of a spoon, spread the tomato sauce over the base of the dish.
- Place a cooked pasta shell in the palm of your hand and fill with a scoop of Vegan Ricotta with Spinach + Fresh Herbs, then place in the baking dish on top of the tomato sauce. Repeat until all pasta shells are filled.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the remaining tomato sauce, stir to combine. Then drizzle over the stuffed shells. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for around 45 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling. Remove the aluminum foil for the last 10-15 minutes so the pasta browns a little on the edges.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven, sprinkle the stuffed shells with some fresh herbs and serve while hot. We like to eat ours alongside a green salad. Enjoy!
- The product links above are affiliate links. If you click them and make a purchase we earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you.
- We use frozen spinach in this stuffed shells with ricotta recipe, but you could easily replace this with 8oz/225g of fresh spinach. Just throw the fresh spinach in the skillet alongside the fresh herbs and let it wilt.
- After cooking, allow the spinach mixture to cool for at least 15 – 30 minutes before adding your ricotta.
- We think basil and parsley are the perfect accompaniment to tomato sauce, but feel free to experiment! Oregano, thyme, and marjoram are also a great match.
- This stuffed shells recipe yields around six portions. You could scale this up by doubling the ingredients and using a bigger dish – it stores really well in an airtight container.
Keywords: stuffed shells recipe, stuffed shells with ricotta, stuffed shells spinach, The Plant Riot