There’s a secret to this recipe for delicious vegan brownies – it’s sweet potatoes! This versatile veggie makes our brownies sweet, fudgy … YUMMY!
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons plant milk (e.g. oat or almond milk)
- 1 1/4 cup sweet potato puree (freshly cooked [see note] or from a can)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1–2 tablespoons whole pecans (or pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C and line a 8 inch/20cm square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare flax eggs by mixing together ground flax seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside to thicken for five minutes.
- Into a large mixing bowl, add prepared flax eggs, sweet potato puree, almond butter and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in brown sugar, cacao powder, pecan pieces, all-purpose flour, baking powder and pinch for salt. Then scoop sweet potato brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the brownies comes out clean.
- Once the sweet potato brownies have cooled, cut into 16 squares and enjoy! Store brownie squares in an airtight container for 3 days.
- If cooking your own sweet potato, add 15 minutes to preparation time.
- To prepare the sweet potato puree, peel the sweet potato and cut into slices. Place sweet potato slices in a bowl, add a little water and cover. Cook in the microwave for 8 to 10 minutes until sweet potato slices are tender. As a result, they’ll actually be steamed, leaving lots of moisture for the brownie mix. Allow the the sweet potato to cool, and then place into a for processor and puree. Alternatively, mash the sweet potato with a fork or push through a metal sieve. You don’t want big chunks of it showing up in your brownies, so make sure the sweet potato is very smooth!
- Store brownie squares in an airtight container for 3 days.
Keywords: sweet potato brownies, sweet potato brownies vegan, sweet potato brownies recipe, The Plant Riot