A sweet potato soup recipe with the spicy aromas of coconut curry. This dish will fill you up and tantalize your tastebuds on a chilly night!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (around 2.5lbs / 1.15kgs), peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoon umami seasoning (optional)*
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream + extra for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil or vegetable broth and onion, and sauté until the onion softens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sweet potato, celery and carrots, stir well. Cook until vegetables start to soften and brown, about 5 minutes. If needed, add a splash of water to help prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- To the vegetables, add garlic, curry powder, umami seasoning, and a pinch each of salt and pepper, stir well and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Next add vegetable broth to the pot and stir well. Raise heat and bring soup to a boil. Once the soup has reach boiling point, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are soft, around 20 minutes. Stir through coconut milk. Set soup aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooled slightly, using an immersion blender or counter top blender, carefully blend the soup in batches until the soup is smooth and creamy, return soup to pot. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as needed. If necessary, reheat soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls and if desired, drizzle with a little coconut cream. Drag a spoon around the soup in a circular motion to create a coconut cream swirl.
- Make sure your curry powder is super fresh so that your soup has a delicious curry flavor! If your curry powder has been hanging around for a while you might like to add another teaspoon or two to boost the flavor.
- *The umami seasoning I use is from Trader Joe’s and is a combination of kosher salt, dried onions, ground mustard seeds, porcini mushroom powder, white button mushroom powder, crushed red pepper, black pepper and dried thyme.
- Nutrition facts are to be used as a guide only and are calculated without optional toppings and toast.
Keywords: sweet potato curry soup, sweet potato soup, coconut soup, coconut curry, The Plant Riot