Imagine it’s Sunday morning (or maybe it actually is 😃!). You can smell the coffee, the toast is done, and in front of you is a big plate of scrambled … tofu? That’s right! This healthy vegan breakfast recipe is so close to eggs I’ve even slipped it to friends and family 😉. So step aside pancakes and waffles – a breakfast food rival is on the menu this weekend!
Have you tried tofu scramble? It’s an easy and healthy vegan alternative for a breakfast recipe. Firm tofu breaks down with a texture just like eggs (check out that picture!), and turmeric adds that familiar golden color. In addition, we like our scramble cheesy, so we use a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
Tofu also makes a great breakfast food due to its protein content. In fact, tofu contains about 25% more protein that eggs! Furthermore, by selecting tofu you avoid that eggy cholesterol, making tofu scramble a more heart healthy recipe.
Personally, we don’t miss the taste of eggs when we eat tofu scramble. However, if you do – we have a solution! It’s called Kala Namak, or “Himalayan black salt”. This seasoning is commonly used to add an eggy flavor to vegan foods (not just breakfast)!
Add the Fixings!
It’s not breakfast without the fixings, right? We think the savory flavor of roasted tomatoes and umami-rich mushrooms complement tofu scramble really well. We also love a big healthy pile of wilted spinach in our breakfast recipes! A few mouthfuls of spinach add plenty of fiber and a bunch of vitamins to fuel your day.
On the light side, some other options are sauteed kale or collard greens. Or, If you’re looking for something more substantial, add some toast, beans or potatoes (hash browns or home fries, anyone?). And don’t forget, breakfast is also a great time to chow down on some fruit!
Alright, they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so it’s time to get started!
Did you try this recipe? Let us know what you think with a comment and rating! Every bit of feedback helps make the Plant Riot even better!Print
Tofu Scramble with Tomato, Mushrooms + Spinach
Tofu & turmeric are scrambled to create the ultimate vegan breakfast in this healthy recipe! Served with classic breakfast foods like tomato, mushroom and steamed spinach.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- 1 14oz / 400grams pack firm organic tofu, drained and dried
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Spray oil or olive oil
- 2 clusters of cherry tomatoes on the vine (about 1 lb / 450 grams)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced or left whole
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 greens onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F / 176C. Line a roasting tray with parchment paper. Place cherry tomatoes on the tray and spray with a little oil (or brush with olive oil, if preferred). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 30-45 minutes. Set aside (keep warm).
- Warm an oiled skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Set aside (keep warm).
- To the same skillet, add tofu and onion (In the skillet break up tofu using a wooden spoon – you want largish pieces). Then add nutritional yeast and turmeric, gently stir tofu mixture. Season to taste. Cook for about five minutes.
- Add spinach to the skillet (mix through scramble, if desired) and allow to wilt for a 1-2 minutes.
- Serve tofu scramble, wilted spinach, roast tomatoes and mushrooms immediately while hot. Sprinkle with green onion.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: tofu scramble with tomatoes mushrooms spinach, tofu scramble, vegan breakfast, the plant riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!