Two great recipes for making delicious vegan broth at home. These awesome broths will level up your dish whether you need subtle flavor or an umami punch!
Classic Vegetable Broth
- 10 cups water
- 7 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 celery sticks/ribs, washed well and roughly chopped
- 4–5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Original Broth recipe ingredients, plus the following:
- 12 asparagus spears, roughly chopped
- 2 ears of corn, shucked and cut in half
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot method: Place all ingredients into the pressure cooker, seal and cook for 30 to 45 minutes*.
- Slow Cooker method: Place all ingredients into a slow cooker, cover and cook on “low” for 8 hours or “high” for 4 hours*.
- Stove Top method: Place all ingredients into a large broth pot, cover with water (around 10 cups), place the lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1-2 hours*.
- Strain: Allow the broth to cool for at least 15 – 20 minutes (to prevent burning yourself), then pour broth through a fine-mesh strainer. Push the vegetables down to release all the liquid and flavor, and then discard the vegetables by placing them in your compost.
- Store: Divide broth into easily useable sizes, such as 1-2 cups in jars or freezer bags, 1/2 cup portions in silicon muffin cups, and 1-2 tablespoon portions in ice cube trays. (bagged once frozen).
- *If you have time, cook broth for the longest recommended time, as more flavor will be extracted from the veggies, resulting in a more flavorful vegetable broth.
- This is the Instant Pot that we love to use here at The Plant Riot HQ.
Keywords: vegan broth recipes, vegan stock recipes, The Plant Riot