When it comes to the morning routine before a busy day, there’s nothing like a grab-and-go breakfast! Without a doubt, our mornings are much smoother when there’s a nutritious meal ready. A satisfying breakfast also sets you up for an excellent day. As a result, your body and brain will have more energy. You’ll also be much better at dodging those snack cravings! This recipe for vegan “egg” bites is one of our favorite meal-prep breakfasts. They are super customizable and delicious, whether hot or cold. What’s more, just two of these net you over 10% of your daily protein!
The Power of Tofu
Tofu is the key to making these egg bites vegan. It’s amazing how close the textures are. You also get tofu’s health advantages (check out the infographic below). Not only does tofu deliver similar levels of protein and iron, it’s also higher in calcium. Furthermore, tofu has zero cholesterol (compared to roughly 190 mg in one egg) and only one-third of the saturated fat. Given that these lipids can work together to increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, your heart will thank you!
How to make Vegan Egg Bites
This recipe is unbelievably easy. In fact, it’s as simple as blending firm tofu and nutritional yeast together until smooth. Then, just mix in some veggie pieces. Finally, put the mix into a muffin pan and bake! There’s no oil and no binder – they cook and set just like this. Of course, you may need to grease the muffin tin. We use spray oil to minimize the added fat. Alternatively, you can use some non-stick silicone muffin molds.
Just like our Asparagus Quiche Recipe, vegan egg bites can have all kinds of mix-ins. For these, we just used up all the veggie bits and pieces left in the fridge (mushrooms, broccoli, tomato, bell pepper, and green onion). None of this needs to be pre-cooked, meaning you can prep in a flash. Other tasty additions are sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, asparagus, and more – use your imagination! Just be sure to:
- Cut or grate the veggies into small pieces, so they cook quickly.
- Drain excess liquid to avoid sogginess.
- Avoid adding too many veggies, because then the egg bites will fall apart.
Meal Prep: How to Store and Reheat Your Egg Bites
Uneaten vegan egg bites should be stored in the fridge, where they’ll keep for 3-5 days. They are delicious cold or left to warm up at room temperature for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can give them a (very) short zap in the microwave – around 30-60 seconds. Of course, you can also freeze your egg bites and thaw them on demand. However, freezing changes the texture of tofu – so be prepared for a slightly chewier result.
Our favorite thing to do is cook our vegan egg bites on a Sunday, and then enjoy them through the week! They also make great finger food at parties!
If you tried these Vegan Egg Bites for breakfast, snacks, or main meals please let us know with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.
And if you love tofu for breakfast (why wouldn’t you?), check out our delicious Tofu Scramble!Print
Vegan Egg Bites | Easy Protein-Packed Breakfast
The vegan egg bites are perfect for breakfast on the go! Make this recipe at the start of the week and enjoy protein-packed egg bites every morning!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 to 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 Vegan ‘egg’ cups 1x
- 19 ounces / 540 grams organic tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 large tomato, finely chopped and drained to remove excess liquid
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Finely ground black pepper
- Cooking oil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C and prepare a 12 cup muffin tray by spraying with a little cooking oil or lining with silicon cups.
- Place tofu, nutritional yeast and ground turmeric into a high powered blender, and blend until the ingredients are liquified and creamy.
- Add the vegetables, salt and pepper into the blender. Scrape down the sides and stir the vegetables into the tofu mixture using a spatula.
- Scoop tofu vegetable mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the egg bites comes out clean.
- Uneaten vegan egg bites should be stored in the fridge, where they’ll keep for 3-5 days. They are delicious cold or left to warm up at room temperature for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can give them a (very) short zap in the microwave – around 30-60 seconds. Of course, you can also freeze your egg bites and thaw them on demand. However, freezing changes the texture of tofu – so be prepared for a slightly chewier result.
- Nutritional information is to be used as a guide only as calories and nutrition vary between products and brands worldwide.
Keywords: vegan egg bites, egg bites recipes, tofu recipes, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (Rachel’s Fit Kitchen, LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!