Green Bean Casserole is a Holiday favorite in the USA, especially at Thanksgiving. There’s something super comforting about the piping hot combo of green beans, mushroom gravy, and crunchy fried onions. However, we only eat plants at The Plant Riot! So, we did some experimenting to find alternatives to the dairy used in the classic recipe. Also, we wanted to swap the canned mushroom soup for something fresher. Read on to find out how to make Green Bean Casserole from scratch with all-vegan ingredients!
How to make Green Bean Casserole from Scratch
Don’t let the words “from scratch” intimidate you – this recipe is quick and easy! Yes, you spend a little more time making gravy instead of dumping in a can of soup. However, one bite and we’re sure you’ll agree those extra few minutes are worth it!
Making the Gravy
The first step in making green bean casserole it to saute the mushrooms, garlic, and onion in a little vegan butter (or oil). Continue cooking until these veggies are soft. Next, add the flour and mix until everything is well coated. Then continue cooking this mix for about two minutes (this step removes the “raw” taste of the flour).
Now you’re ready to turn this mix into gravy. Start slowly pouring the plant milk into the pot. At the same time, stir the mixture continuously. When done carefully, this will make sure your gravy is smooth, not lumpy. As a result, you’ll have fresh mushroom gravy to replace the canned soup!
Fresh Green Beans
We also like to use fresh green beans rather than frozen ones. Again, this adds a little extra time – but the flavor is so much better. Just steam the beans until they’re tender. You don’t want them too crunchy, but be careful not to make them mushy, either. Mix the cooked beans into the gravy, and then transfer everything into a casserole dish.
MAKE AHEAD NOTE: at this point, you can store the casserole in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to serve the casserole, warm it in the microwave (around 5 minutes on high, or until heated through), or the oven (cover in foil and heat at 350F for 10 mins). Then continue with the remaining steps.
Top it Off
Once the green beans and gravy are in the casserole dish, sprinkle the top with vegan cheese. Now comes the big finish! Bake the casserole in the oven until the vegan cheese melts, then sprinkle with French fried onions and then serve immediately.
We hope you enjoyed learning how to make our Green Bean Casserole from scratch. If you make it, please let us know what you think with a comment and a rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.Print
Vegan Green Bean Casserole from Scratch | Easy + Tasty
This Thanksgiving skip the soup can and make Green Bean Casserole from scratch! Our green bean casserole has fresh veg, delicious gravy, and is vegan too!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 as a side 1x
- 1 large (1lbs / 450 grams) onion, finely chopped
- 12 oz / 340 grams mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups almond milk (or unsweetened plant milk of choice)
- 1 lbs / 450 grams green beans, trimmed and steamed
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese
- 1 cup French fried onions
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C and have a medium size casserole dish ready.
- Place a medium sized pot over medium-low heat. Add onion, mushrooms, garlic and non-dairy butter or oil, and sauté until the onions and mushrooms have softened.
- Next add the all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir through to coat the mushrooms and onions, continue cooking this mix for about two minutes (this step removes the “raw” taste of the flour).
- Slowly pour the almond milk into the pot. At the same time, stir the mixture continuously. When done carefully, this will make sure your gravy is smooth, not lumpy. Add the steamed green beans and mix through the mushroom gravy to coat the beans. Have a taste and add a little more salt and pepper, if needed. (See notes for making this dish ahead of time/meal prepping).
- Transfer the green beans and gravy mixture to a casserole dish. Top with shredded non-dairy cheese and bake until cheese has melted, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the green bean casserole from the oven and sprinkle with French fried onions. Serve immediately while hot! Enjoy!
Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and consume within 3 days.
- MAKE AHEAD NOTE: at this point, you can store the casserole in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to serve the casserole, warm it in the microwave (around 5 minutes on high, or until heated through), or the oven (cover in foil and heat at 350F for 10 mins). Then continue with the remaining steps.
Keywords: green bean casserole, green bean casserole vegan, green bean casserole from scratch, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!