This soup inspired by Caldo Verde, which is a traditional Portuguese kale (or collard greens) and sausage soup. It’s a hearty dish full of smoky, savory flavors. In fact, it’s so good we decided to “veganize” it for everyone to enjoy. Our secret weapon in this recipe is vegan sausage. There are so many tasty varieties out there – take your pick!
Another feature that makes kale and sausage soup is smokiness. And guess what? You don’t need smoked animal parts to get that flavor. Indeed, all you need is the power of smoked paprika! This spice is hands down one of our favorite pantry ingredients. Just a little makes your meal taste like it was cooked over an open fire.
How to Make
To start the recipe, cut the vegan sausages into thick slices. Next, heat some oil in a pot and fry the sausages until they’re golden brown on both sides. Now remove the sausages, but leave the oil in the pan.
After that, take your roughly chopped potatoes, onions, and garlic and add them to the hot pan. Saute all these veggies until the onions and garlic are soft and translucent. Then sprinkle in the smoked paprika, drop in the bay leaves, and keep cooking until the spices are fragrant.
Now that you’ve cooked off the veggies return the sausage to the pan and add 8 cups of veggie broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, and then turn down to a simmer. Keep the soup bubbling until the potatoes are soft.
Now it’s time to finish the dish. It’s not traditional, but we prefer our vegan sausage and kale soup a little chunky. We get this effect by taking half the soup (including the potato and sausage) and blending it up! Of course, make sure you remove the bay leaves first.
Blending tips: play it safe and let the soup cool for 15 minutes before you transfer it to the blender. Also, we get the best results with a high-powered stand-up blender. You can use an immersion blender, but the soup will be grainier.
And that’s it! You’ve got a delicious vegan sausage and kale soup on your hands. Divide into 6 bowls and serve it up hot! For bonus points, dish up some crusty bread on the side.
We hope you enjoyed our vegan interpretation of Sausage and Kale Soup! If you try it, please let us know what you think with a comment and rating. Every bit of feedback helps make The Plant Riot even better.Print
Vegan Sausage and Kale Soup | Smoky + Delicious
It’s a smoky and delicious vegan sausage and kale soup! It’s a hearty, comforting recipe with vegan sausage, vibrant kale, potatoes, and smoky paprika.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes + 15 minutes cooling
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 14oz / 400grams vegan sausages (see Notes), sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2lbs / 900grams red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion (12oz/340grams), roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 10oz/285grams kale, woody stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Into a large pot over medium heat, add vegan sausage slices and olive oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove the sausage, but leave the oil in the pan.
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent. Then sprinkle in the smoked paprika and drop in the bay leaves, and keep cooking until the spices are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Then add back the cooked the vegan sausage and pour in the vegetable broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Keep the soup simmering until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Set the soup aside to cool for 15 minutes to cool a little. Remove the bay leaves and then scoop half of the soup into a high powered blender (including the potatoes and sausage) and blend it up until smooth and creamy! Return the blended soup to the pot and stir to combine with the remaining chunky soup.
- Bring the soup back to boil, stir in chopped kale and red wine vinegar, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until the kale has softened. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit your taste.
- Divide the soup between six bowls and enjoy with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
- We like to use Beyond Meat Spicy Italian sausages, but any similar vegan sausage will work!
Keywords: sausage and kale soup, vegan sausage soup, kale soup, sausage soup, The Plant Riot
This post contains affiliate links, which means that The Plant Riot (SteenPow Collective LLC) will make a small commission if you purchase using these links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change. The Plant Riot only recommends products that we know, trust and love!