It’s a smoky and delicious vegan sausage and kale soup! It’s a hearty, comforting recipe with vegan sausage, vibrant kale, potatoes, and smoky paprika.
- 14oz / 400grams vegan sausages (see Notes), sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2lbs / 900grams red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion (12oz/340grams), roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 10oz/285grams kale, woody stems removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Into a large pot over medium heat, add vegan sausage slices and olive oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove the sausage, but leave the oil in the pan.
- Add the potatoes, onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper to the pot. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent. Then sprinkle in the smoked paprika and drop in the bay leaves, and keep cooking until the spices are fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Then add back the cooked the vegan sausage and pour in the vegetable broth. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Keep the soup simmering until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Set the soup aside to cool for 15 minutes to cool a little. Remove the bay leaves and then scoop half of the soup into a high powered blender (including the potatoes and sausage) and blend it up until smooth and creamy! Return the blended soup to the pot and stir to combine with the remaining chunky soup.
- Bring the soup back to boil, stir in chopped kale and red wine vinegar, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes until the kale has softened. Taste and adjust seasoning to suit your taste.
- Divide the soup between six bowls and enjoy with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
- We like to use Beyond Meat Spicy Italian sausages, but any similar vegan sausage will work!
Keywords: sausage and kale soup, vegan sausage soup, kale soup, sausage soup, The Plant Riot